Big Island: Zip Line (8 Line Dual-Track Zip)
On this tour you will soar on a journey above the rainforest canopy and the lush brilliance of the Honolii river to explore the finest natural areas that the Big Island has to offer. Take your need for speed to new heights on this thrilling zipline adventure, which includes an elevation drop from beginning to end of nearly 2,000 feet (310 meters). During your decent you will view breathtaking scenery such as scenic waterways and waterfalls while soaring over them on the Hawaiian Island's only all-dual-track zip course.
Begin the day on a fully narrative drive along Saddle road with views of the mountains of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on your way to the most beautiful falls on Hawaii island. The elevation levels at your destination will boast spectacular panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean, and possibly Kilauea Volcano smoking in the distance. After a safety briefing upon your arrival you will start your adventure on an 8-line dual-track zip course.
The first of your 8-line zip adventure will start out with a bang as you hug the Hilo Forest Reserve. Listen for the calls of our Hawaiian native birds in the forest near the zip line; then see what it feels like to join them in the air as you speed towards line 2. The second zip line has impressive views of the coastline and Hilo Bay. It will deliver you to the steep banks of the raging Honolii river where you will cross a suspension bridge to the third line.
On the third of your 8-line zip adventure, you will be facing mauka (towards the mountain), here you will catch vistas of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, the two huge volcanoes that make up the bulk of Hawaii island. Turn to the south and you'll be treated to views of smoke and steam rising from the Pu'u O'o vent of Kilauea Volcano. Line 3 takes you along the river over a native Hawaiian rainforest filled with old-growth Ohia and Koa trees.
The fourth zip line, which is connected to line 3 from a suspension bridge; this zip is a real stunner. Starting 200 feet (61 m.) over the valley below, the cliff below you drops away to reveal a double-tiered waterfall that will melt your heart. Swivel around in your harness and you may feel the power of a 120 foot (37 m.) tall waterfall. When the waterfall is raging, you'll be enveloped in mist from the falls as you glide across the pool below. This is a unique exit from this line and will leave you giggling in your harness.
Your only half-way through this high flying journey... and the best is yet to come. Before continuing on our zip adventure, here we'll take a break at a pavilion known as Hale Ho'onanea, or "house of peace." The name becomes obvious as you sit and enjoy the views of the waterfall, while your new zip line buddies complete their journey from the last line. Light snacks and beverages are provided here, as are restrooms. To make your trip a special, one-of-a-kind experience, you will be allotted time for lunch. For those who opt for our delicious lunch program, which is freshly prepared and conveniently delivered to you at the pavilion.
After the break we will re-secure our harness equipment and away we zip on... as we continue the second half of our journey above the rainforest canopy. Further decent along the zip line will boast lush scenery, rugged mountain terrain, scenic waterways and waterfalls. After completing the final four lines we pack up for the return trip back to Hilo while all share story of their adventure.
Regular - Group Price Includes:
• Round-trip transportation from downtown Hilo to the zip line outpost
• Narrative guide
• Zip equipment
• Access fees
• Light snacks and water
• Mosquito Repellent
• Optional rain gear
Guidelines for Zip line Participants:
• Must be 10 years of age or older
• Must be able to lift 15lb or 6.8 kg
• Must be able to traverse stairways, suspension bridges, suspended staircases, and uneven terrain
• Minimum weight is 80lb or 36.29 kg
• Maximum weight is 260lb or 117.94 kg
• Closed toe shoes required
• Those who experience heart, neck or back problems are restricted to participate
• Those who are pregnant are restricted to participate
Suggested Items to Bring:
• Light jacket, hat and sunglasses
• Shorts or pants and t-shirt are okay
• Closed toe shoes required
• Still or video camera
Zip line tours run rain or shine. Generally, there are cooler temperatures at the beginning of the course and warmer temperatures near the end. Viewing conditions at waterfall is dependent on rainfall amounts. Activity includes traversing stairways, suspension bridges, suspended staircases, and uneven terrain throughout the day.
Optional Lunch - Menu Choices:
Sandwiches are all served on house-made sourdough rolls with gluten-free option available.
• Curried Turkey & Macadamia Nut Sandwich - Fresh roasted turkey, cranberries, macadamia nuts, celery, mayo, curry and romaine
• Catch of the Day - Fresh seasonal catch of the day (ono, mahi mahi or ahi), capers, seasoned mayo and romaine
• Deli-style Turkey - Sliced deli turkey, cheese, fresh tomato, romaine with mustard, mayo and vegenaise on the side
• Roasted Veggie - Fresh roasted eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, sweet Maui onions, tomatoes with a kalamata olive tapenade and seasoning
Sandwiches come with a choice of salad.
• Mixed Greens - Local organic greens with sliced cucumbers and cherry tomatoes tossed with a light oriental dressing
• Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad - Orzo pasta tosed with fresh basil, roasted red peppers, kalata olives, olive oil, red wine vinegar, macadamia nuts, feta cheese and seasoning
Beverage includes your choice of: 20 oz bottles of Coke, Diet Coke, Barq's Root Beer, Nestea Iced Tea, and Vitamin Water (Energy X, Triple X, Revive, Power C, Essential, or Focus flavors)